9.12.2008

FINALLY!

So I finally did it. Several years ago, Drew and Brittany brought me back an unabridged version of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. I have to admit that I was so intimidated by the 1200 pages of teeny-tiny type that I made it a life goal of mine to read the novel -- and today I finished it! I started reading the novel in January, and can finally check this one off my list. And while I skipped a few pages on the Battle of Waterloo (there were 46 pages on the topic) and a few more the sewer systems of Paris (another 25 pages), I feel that I have accomplished my feat. At times I really enjoyed the book, but I don't think I'll ever even pretend to attempt to read it again.
Just for your information: the above picture is the same one that's on the cover of my edition, that's why I put it on here. I really am quite sick of it myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That is quite a feat. I've had that book on my "sometime in my life reading list" for awhile. It's good to know it can actually be done! Hopefully it wasn't as bad as Our Mutual Friend. :)

Susan said...

Wow. Impressive! Maybe I can borrow it but I'm not sure I have enough time left.

Britt said...

Wow, it only took you 4 years to finish it!! I'm glad our gift got so much use.